Cartographic Information System |
on European Affairs (EUROCIS)
ATLAS OF EUROPE
Before 1825 this area was covered by an agricultural estate. When it became the property of the crown prince, later the "romantic king" Friedrich Wilhelm IV, he developed plans to transform it and add it to the existing park of Sanssouci. He found congenial assistants in the architects K.F. Schinkel and L. Persius and the landscape architect P.J. Lenné.
The former manor was transformed into a small palace of bourgeois proportions resembling a Roman villa (fig.1) reflecting in its plain interior the spirit of Biedermeier. An artificial terrace, a pond, a garden were added.
The former agricultural and garden land was transformed into an English style landscape park with broad areas of lawn, with groups of trees and artifical pools, opening up various axes of view to the New Palace and other buildings and sculptures of the park of Sanssouci (fig.2).
Other buildings in the park and landscape are the Roman Bathes, a group of buildings in the style of a Roman villa, the Hyppodrom and the Pheasant House.
fig.1: Charlottenhof Palace with terrace (Etching by F.J. Umbach, 1860)
fig.2: Map of the park of Charlottenhof or Siam (Lithography by
G. Koeber after P.J. Lenné 1839)
fig.2: Map of the park of Charlottenhof or Siam (Lithography by G. Koeber after P.J. Lenné 1839)